Sunday, October 5, 2008

Beginning a Blog

How does one distinguish himself in an arena packed full of self-proclaimed experts without editor, oversight, or authority in an era of 'discovering one's own truth', no matter how unfounded or tested this 'truth' may be? In a culture where everyone's opinion is of equal worth, how can anyone write anything worth reading? In a sphere without oversight, how can one know he has accomplished his task or stated goals? Do I have a greater purpose in writing than expressing my own opinions and hear myself talk (or see myself write)? Why does anyone need another blog to read and another blogger to write?

My goal in entering the blogging world is growth. I hope to grow by interacting with others' ideas and I hope to help others grow by their interaction with my thoughts. As a seminary student (and graduate) I will have a good deal to say on theology, praxis, and Biblical interpretation. As a youth pastor I will have some thoughts about practical ministry. As a Christian I will blog about what that means and entails in a postchristian culture. As an aspiring poet and writer, I may share some poems or stories that I am working on. Whatever it is that I am writing, the goal is the interchange of and interaction with the ideas of others. But this goal is subservient to my life's goal of honoring and serving Jesus Christ. I hope that this will facilitate this in my life and in the lives of others.

Looking forward to our interchanges!
I am etc...
Matthew C. Richey

1 comment:

Keith said...

Hey, I'm looking forward to this.

I can tell just by reading your first posting here that the apple did not fall far from the tree.

(That's a good thing btw..) :-)

About Me

My photo
Tacoma, Washington, United States
"It is not as a child that I believe and confess Jesus Christ. My hosanna is born of a furnace of doubt." Fyodor Dostoevsky. I'm a Northwest Baptist Seminary graduate (MDiv) and current student (ThM). I plan on someday going to Africa and teach Bible and Theology at a Bible College or Seminary level. I hope to continue my studies and earn a PhD, either after I go to overseas for a few years or before. I'm a theological conservative, but I like to think outside of the box and challenge conventional thinking and consider myself a free thinker. I am currently serving in my fourth year as a Youth Pastor at Prairie Baptist Fellowship in Yelm Washington. My blogs will reflect my thoughts on both seminary and ministry life, though not (of course) exclusively. I enjoy literature and occasionally try my hand at writing stories and poems. "For I am not ashamed of the gospel for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes..." Paul